Sunday, July 6, 2008

Serving Him


God is not unjust; he will not forget your work
and the love you have shown him as you have helped his
people and continue to help them. Hebrews 6:10



What a huge encouragement to us! I love my family, but I find that there are days that I tire of serving them. It is then that this verse, and others like it, help spur me on and refocus my efforts on serving the Lord. Without being in the word I begin to carry out my daily duties with an increasing attitude of pride, resentment and emptiness.



Whatever you do, be it in word or in deed,
do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to
God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17



This particular verse reminds me that the 5th load of laundry, mopping and diaper changing can each be done with all my heart for the Lord! The attitude and motive of my heart in each task can glorify him, or not. I need these reminders when the day gets long, the laundry gets boring and the diapers get messy!



About 8 months ago I had enough and was up to my neck in daily responsibilities. After a few weeks of wrestling with my attitude, purpose and influence in this world I got honest with the Lord. I sat down one evening, after another long day, and said what was really in my heart, "Lord, I am tired of serving them!" (He is so good! Our loving Father always knows what our struggle is and how to lead us to a safe place and to victory.) So, he spoke to my heart and asked me if I was tired of serving him. "No, I'll never tire of serving you!" I could not imagine giving up on serving him, ever. Then, he opened my eyes as his tender wise words entered my heart,"You are serving me as you are serving them." Oh, how could I have lost my way that long? Why couldn't I see the truth all this time?



I had let the Martha syndrome run wild in my life. My home was clean, my family well fed, my soul starving! I had gone on for so long that I was even tired and resentful of what I was so busy doing. Relationships had taken a back seat and now I was spent on doing all that had to be done. We needed the Lord's reminders and discipline. This is the very reason he wrote all his words to us down and gave us a copy! Its not a suggestion that we be in his word and in relationship with him, he is the source of all life!



All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,
rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the
woman of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16 & 17



So let us remember to not let our to do list be the ruler of our days! Make an effort, be it 5 minutes or hours, to be in the word and in honest communication with our Lord and Savior so that we will be thoroughly equipped for the days work and reminded of who it is we are to be serving.

2 comments:

The Maggio Family said...

That's an awesome word, April. Really relevant to my life, too.

secondofwett said...

Thank you...that has helped me immensely today.