Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sarah

In response to the Internet Cafe Devotional question...

What is one woman from the Bible that you can relate to, and explain why you relate to her?

Sarah

Well, I have found myself moving every few years. In almost 10 years of marriage we have lived in 5 different towns. So, on the here and there of Sarah's life I can easily relate. She and her hubby traveled a bit too. She does not seem to complain about leaving her convenient suburban life for life on the road and in rural areas. I will admit that I was less than thrilled about a few of our moves out of the city, and I mean way out! Sarah's example has been such a rock for me. I can embrace the moves and changes that come with each, remembering that God does have a reason for each part of the journey.

I also relate to her on another level, temper, temper... Sarah was an amazingly ordinary woman. She struggled, overcame and yelled a bit in between the highlights. She was real. She knew the answers to fix the problems, and lived what happens when we step out of God's perfect will to get the job done. When I first realized that another woman did struggle with the same things as I do, it was liberating! Through Sarah God validated my struggle as real, as common and as something that we could overcome together. Sarah is a Mother figure in my mind, she has been where I am and learned that we don't have to live our whole life here.

2 comments:

Lily said...

Isn't it great that the bible isn't just fairy tale stories, like many would claim. Instead it's about real people, thousands of years ago who have the same exact struggles we do.

It is liberating to know that! Thanks for sharing.

Denise said...

I enjoyed your post, nice choice.