Monday, July 14, 2008

M & M

Mary & Martha. These two women represent most of us in one way or another. Mary's tender people first, listen then speak attitude permeates the scriptures about her. She made the choice to listen when it was time and the Lord protected her choice to put him first. Her sister Martha wants to get it done and have it done right for the guests, but more for herself. We learn that she is also a worrier, anyone? She had so much on her mind about what needed to be done that she lost sight of what was the true priority, Jesus.
I struggle to balance the roles I am called to fill. My children need my undivided attention and training as well as a clean floor and lunch. Because I stay at home with them I find it hard to get all that I should be doing done. This week I have much to do, but is it a to do list I have made or one the Lord has laid out? Have I set expectations for myself that push me into the Martha corner of doing it all? Are there times to listen to the Lord?
I am more of a doer by nature. I enjoy knowing that Martha learned her lesson, but like me wasn't perfect in living it out. The chores are piling up, the 2 year old needs some attention and the boys need a snack. I know the Lord can lead me through an orderly day with clarity about what should be the priority in each moment, but I need to lay down my list and my plan and listen for his.
Thankfully I can write that most mornings I have had the time to be in his presence without the kids being present! I do struggle though with what I could be getting done in the time I have while they are sleeping and the laundry is creeping out of the basket...

Martha, Martha you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her. Luke 10:41-42

What about you?

Do you tend to lean towards Mary or Martha?

Are you taking the time he gives you to get things done or to be with Him?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi April
glad to know about your blog. I need all the encouragement I can get, so I'll be back.
I can definitely relate to the posts i've read so far.

The Maggio Family said...

i can , too. girl, i am SO a "doer". it takes some work for me to lay down the list to just "play". i want to clean, clean, clean--cook, cook, cook, & organize--there's a time & place for that.