Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Martha, Martha...

Recently I was enjoying a visit at a friends home and the subject of being so wound tight as a mom came up. We talked over the issue and its variables, but came to no really biblical answer. I knew there had to be one! So these past few days I have asked little questions of the Lord and he has given me an answer in his word. Our old friends Martha & Mary are at the center of this one, again! You see, Mary hadn't just chosen Jesus, she had put relationships over tasks. She choose to let him know he mattered and that the dinner could wait, helping her sister could wait and her prioritized to do list could wait! Now lets bring this back to you, at home 24/7 with your children. So they don't stop by for a special visit and the home is yours to keep, but your children are a blessing form the Lord! I often, way too often, find myself struggling to get it all done and still enjoy my relationships with my kids. Instead, I am busy and worried about the many things that HAVE to be done - now. What we can learn and apply from Mary is that we are to put relationships as priority. That pile of laundry will not be a lasting legacy we leave our children, nor will a spotless floor or a dusted collection of figures. No, what we are left with when someone has gone is the memories of time with them. Time to build and rebuild the Lego fire station, time to play hide & seek, time reading on the couch and teaching in a loving way.
Well, I'd like to continue, but my 4 year old Micah has just joined me and I think its best that I apply rather than further elaborate.....

1 comment:

The Maggio Family said...

so true, yet a hard concept to activate in your life, at least for me!